I am Groot.
Jobs that are acceptable on Thanksgiving:
- air traffic controller
- police, emt, doctor, nurse
- grocery store employees
- gas station attendant
- wait staff, cooks, and management at many restaurants
- 5K run coordinator
- Football player (pro or college) plus thousands of stadium employees and hundreds of sportscasters
- reporter, news anchor, meteorologist, support staff at hundreds of television stations
- toll booth attendant
- thousands of data center operators that keep the internet, OMG Facebook, twitter and yes this blog functioning
- utility workers that keep the lights on and toilets flushing
- airline pilots, flight attendants, luggage handlers, maintenance staff, airport employees
- bus drivers, truck drivers, taxi drivers, you name it all kinds of drivers
- thousands more
Jobs that are not acceptable on Thanksgiving:
- retail employees, because they “need to spend time with their families.”
I can’t write, not clearly or coherently, about my own feelings on this matter. So I’m going to share this young woman since she hits many of the points I would make.
I do tell my kids to please not piss off the police. Texas can be a shoot first, ask questions later sort of place, and the venom I see spewing on local web sites and social media is a constant reminder that color does matter and that racial prejudice is very much a part of everyday life in America.